Jan' 5th 2015 . rear area of 5 Thomas street
Number 5 Thomas st was originally one of a pair of houses originally built in 1760-61 but altered and extended over the decades.. Number 5 was occupied for as few years by eminent artist Paul Sandby who was drawing master at the Royal Military academy..
Around 1800 William Powis lived there until his death and later occupants were mainly military characters.
The properties would have had front gardens but these were lost to road widening in the 1860s. In 1893 an undertaker by the name of JJ Messent took a lease on the premises ( Messent was also mayor of Woolwich ) He had this rear extension built to be used as a stable for 10 horses plus workshops and a cover for funeral carriages.. The property continues as an undertakers to this day .
copyright Chris Mansfield