Approx' 1900... North Woolwich pier.
This Pier near the free ferry was built in the mid 1800s by the Eastern Counties railway company. They had extended their line into North Woolwich during 1847 and they then set up a ferry service, to encourage people across the river to use their trains.
There was no train service serving South Woolwich until a few years later .
The ferry service originally consisted of two boats, the Kent and the Essex. In 1879 a third boat was introduced .. The Middlesex.
In 1889 a final boat, The Woolwich, was introduced. These ferries charged a penny to cross the river.
Unfortunately the introduction of the free ferry service in March 1889 sounded the death knell for these ferries.
The Pier was also a stopping point for the many pleasure steamers that worked the Thames and was to be the next stop of the ill fated Princess Alice which came to grief about a mile before her destination.
In later years the pier was used by the Alexander shipping company, who operated the well known "SUN" tugs ..
The pier still remains but is in a derelict state. The pontoon and its buildings have long gone