The Tramshed was built in 1909-10. It was not to house trams , as many people think but was in fact an electricity substation providing power for the tramway from Woolwich to Eltham.
Londons last tram ran from Woolwich in 1952.
The building lay empty for 10 years until it was let on a short lease in 1973 to be used as theatre for music hall and family entertainment.. The project ran into financial difficulties and was soon closed down.. In 1975 the theatre reopened this time with a more varied programme and a comedy club where many well know comedians honed their skills.
copyright Chris Mansfield